Tart cherries are packed with powerful antioxidants. In fact, they have among the highest levels of antioxidants of other super foods.2-5 Tart cherries ranked 14 in the top 50 foods for highest antioxidant content per serving size — surpassing well-known leaders such as red wine, prunes, dark chocolate and orange juice, according to one recent study.6
2. Wu X, Beecher GR, Holden JM, Haytowitz DB, Gebhardt SE, Prior RL. Lipophilic and hydrophilic antioxidant capacities of common foods in the United States.
3. Kirakosyan A, Seymour EM, Llanes DEU, Kaufman PB, Bolling SF. Chemical profile and antioxidant capacities of tart cherry products.
4. Seymour EM, Ou B. Phytochemical and diverse antioxidant profile of whole tart cherries J Agric Food Chem 2004;52:4026-4037.Food Chem 2009;115:20-25.(Prunus cerasus). FASEB J 2011;25:773.14.(Prunus cerasus). J Agric Food Chem 1999;47:840-844.
5. Wang H, Nair MG, Strasburg GM, Booren AM, Gray JI. Antioxidant polyphenols from tart cherries.
6. Halvorsen BL, Carlsen MH, Phillips KM, Bohn SK, Holte K, Jacobs DR, Blomhoff R. Content of redox-active compounds (i.e., antioxidants) in foods consumed in the United States. Am J Clin Nutr 2006;84:95-135.